- In 1905, the City of Covington Fire Department was established as a volunteer fire department.
- In 1972, full-time dispatchers were initiated, and a new Fire Station at Jefferson and 26th avenues was constructed. This is where headquarters is currently located.
- In 1993, Covington’s citizens voted to approve a millage tax so that the city could hire full-time firefighters, and purchase a new fire truck and 75-foot ladder truck.
- In April 1995, four full-time firefighters were hired for the first time in Covington’s history. May of 1995 marks the arrival of the 75-foot ladder truck, which was used two weeks later during the Haik fire on Columbia Street.
- In 1996 and 1997, two more full-time firefighters were hired, bringing the total to six.
- In July 2010, six additional full-time firefighters were hired through a departmental rookie school with a 100% passing rate.