The Finance Department is responsible for the sound management of the City’s accounting activities to ensure efficient, effective and accountable use of public funds. The Finance Department reports directly to the Mayor, and prepares an annual financial report and budget which are presented to the City Council for approval. The City’s fiscal year is January 1 through December 31. We strive to remain in good standing with the Louisiana Legislative Auditors and follow the uniform system of procedures recommended by the Louisiana Office of Statewide Reporting and Accounting Policy.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Administering a central accounting system for all departments;
- Preparation of the annual operating and capital improvement budgets;
- Collection of all monies coming into the City;
- Disbursing funds from the City treasury;
- Preparing monthly statements of revenues and expenditures;
- Procurement of materials, supplies and services through a central purchasing system.
- Investing all idle City funds; and Maintaining a record of indebtedness and managing the principal and interest payments on such indebtedness.